Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sights, Sounds, Smells and Feelings: Reflections on Kanakuk


It is surreal in some ways that my time at Kanakuk has come to a close. It has played such a huge role in my life and in my relationship with Christ. Over the past six years the Lord has used the ministry Kanakuk to teach me so much about His character. He has allowed me to experience His presence at Kanakuk in ways that are truly indescribable. 

As I write this post, I can close my eyes and picture myself sitting at the church. I hear the sounds of summer- the crickets and cicadas and and boats from the lake below. I hear pea gravel shift as people walk by and worship music drifting in through the screen windows of the dining hall.  I smell sunscreen and bug spray mingling with the mineral-laden water and earthy sweet fragrance of Kamp. I see the glorious sunset painted across the ozark mountains, reflected on table rock lake. I see people smiling, serving, running, sweating, praying, crying and encouraging. 

To me, this place is more than a summer kamp, more than a point on a map or a handful of photos in a scrapbook. To me, this is a place where I see Christ's face. It is the place where the Lord captured my heart for the first time. It is a place where I found answers to questions, advice, tools and wisdom. It is here I learned how to be a Christian leader and how to equip the next generations to lead in the same way. 

Within the Kanakuk gates I have met some of the most incredible people in the entire world. And though my time at Kanakuk has come to a close I know that it will always be near and dear to my heart. I will forever carry with me each of the friendships, memories, lessons and experiences. 

Love and Prayers,
Court


No comments:

Post a Comment