Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Backyard Camping and Baseball




When Andrew and I were little, my Dad’s bestfriend David and his family just lived a few streets over. David and my dad work at the same hospital and have been great friends for years, in fact, he and his wife Netty are my little sister’s godparents. Anyway, back to the story. One of my favorite parts of summer was evenings Andrew and I would be allowed to stay up late playing T-Ball in the backyard with Dad and David. They would take turns being on our team, always encouraging us and giving “hi-fives” and funny made up handshakes when we made a hit. I remember David and my dad saying “Hey-batta-hey-batta-hey-batta-saaawing-batta” and thinking it was so funny and goofy.

This was part of summer I loved, being outside with my Dad. When it got too dark to see the ball anymore, we would start a little fire in the grill and make s’mores. Then crawl into the tent we had pitched earlier in the afternoon. There were some weekends when we got to go “real camping”, we would head out to Clinton Lake near Lawrence or go to the Mill…but it didn’t really matter where we were-our backyard was just as fun. We just loved feeling special, staying up late and looking at the stars.

When I close my eyes and think of Summer, it is often these moments in the backyard that come back to me!

Love and Prayers,
Court

No comments:

Post a Comment