Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Midnight Snack and Eavesdropping

I briefly wanted to interrupt the previously scheduled Boston tour/update to tell you a bit about today's events!

I got a great night's sleep yesterday. I fully attribute this to the delicious midnight snack I had of animal crackers dipped in White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter from Peanut Butter & Co. MMMMmmm! This was a match made in heaven!

I woke up this morning with the first day of school butterflies in my tummy! It is my first day being in the schools for my block C practicum. In elementary education at K-State our professional classes are arranged in blocks. I am in my last block before student teaching and have been working so hard in the K-State classroom doing tons of lesson planning, unit planning, research and preparation and now FINALLY I get to be with the kiddos and see all my hard work pay off.

It has been a real struggle this semester to hang in there through all the "methods" part of teaching. I have been itching to get into the schools--my heart is those kids and it was hard not getting to be around them until now.


Awkward Mirror Pic
Here was my first day of school professional ensemble. I decided it would be fun to try to take a picture of my "teacher outfits"--perhaps it will be inspiration to me to put together different combinations outside of my "go to" numbers! 

Well, I was only in the fourth grade for three minutes before my "teacher ears" turned on and I began to pick up on all the little superflous conversations going on in the classroom. I always find these conversations so amusing, sometimes I have to bite my lip to keep from laughing when I should be implementing my classroom management strategies to get them back on track! 

Anywho, I am starting a new "segment" on the good old bloggie blog entitled... *drumroll*

Student's Say the Darndest Things (yes, original...I know)

Here are the top four conversations that I heard while in the fourth grade classroom today:

At recess, two girls are standing in line and this is how the convo goes down:

S-You are a friend. Not a best friend. Well, actually, now that I think about it I have an opening for my third best friend. Do you want to be my third best friend?

A-Okay!

If that doesn't bring you back to the good old days of elementary school I don't know what will...Remember the whole "you're not invited to my birthday party" saga when your friend was mean. Ah, those were the days!

Next convo. During class. Out of the blue, no context to speak of...

B- Rivers are like interstate highways for fishies...*VA-ROOM*

Random. 

This next little gem was said by an adorable girl who came and tapped the teacher on his hand and said...

We were perfectly quiet. I just can't seem to understand why we did not get a star point.

She was just so polite about it!

And today in the classroom there was a birthday, so naturally we stuffed our faces with sugary-sweet-make-your-teeth-hurt-store-bought-florescent -cupcakes. 

In typical fourth grade boy fashion there was a huge discussion that went something like this.

F- I will eat your cupcake if you don't want it
T- You can't have it, I already licked it
F-I don't care, I would eat anything
T (and at least 2 other boys simultaneously)- Would you eat POOP?!
F-Ya, if it was from a chocolate cow...cause then it would be chocolate poop. ( I am missing the logic here but, alas!)

Several moments later...

F-This frosting tastes like bologna 

And that, my friends is just a little glimpse of my day! I have some major tidying up and regrouping to do tonight, so I will probably continue the chronicles of my spring break trip to Boston sometime tomorrow. I am also back in the schools again tomorrow (and every T, W, TH for the next 5 weeks) so prepare yourself for some more enriching fourth grade eavesdropping adventures!

Love and Prayers,
Court

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh - love those things the kids said. I teach 5th grade, so every day I have myself shaking my head and laughing at the things they say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot how hard the waiting to teach during practicums can be! It gets so much better :) Today, one of my students said: "Once I had a bead stuck in my nose, because I put a bead in my nose." Nice to know. haha hang in there and you will be hearing little gems like that all day, every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one teacher to another, this is one of my favorite things about working with the kiddos. :) Hope your block is quite the success. -McCall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...kids!! Wow! I shudder to think of some of the things that probably came out of my mouth back in the day!

    ReplyDelete