Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Let it Snow and Court's Frozen Meals

Take Two.

I tried to write this post and was about halfway done when I somehow deleted it. Shooooot. I can't even blame a computer malfunction or the stupid Kappa internet, it was totally my fault. Dang it.

I am bundled head to toe in blankets right now freezing my bootay of and watching the "Blizzard of the Century" outside my window. I always have to grin when watching any type of winter storm weather updates. I mean, I'll give it to them this time, this is quite the storm, but I am pretty sure they have used the phrase "Blizzard of the Century" every time we get a dusting since as long as I can remember. Sheesh.

I am currently working my way through my second mug of hot cocoa for the day and am relishing in my second ever college snow day. K-State NEVER cancels class. A few weeks ago we got 8+ inches and still had to treck across the unplowed streets of the Little Apple to make it to class. That day, KSU was kind enough to send us all a text message alert at 6:15 in the morning saying that we still had classes...lame. Yesterday however, the mean streak was broken and we all rejoiced and then rolled over when we got the text message informing us that due to inclement weather all classes would be CANCELLED! Oh ya! I felt such relief because I knew that I needed this day to catch up on my crazy Block C classes and get re-grouped from being out of town this weekend. Then it was an extra cherry-on-top surprise to learn that school would also be cancelled today, I am crossing my fingers tomorrow too, but definitely don't have my hopes up.

I was loading pictures on my camera from this weekend and realized there were a few leftover from my california trip that I never posted. The last few days of my visit, after we went to Disneyland were spent cooking and cooking and cooking. The Mr. is very capable in the kitchen (well at least at his famous pancakes, turkey sandwiches and quesadillas) but he is so tired when he gets home from work that he never feels like cooking. *Enter Court's Frozen Meals Here*. I went to the grocery store and filled the cart with all kinds of ingredients for my day of cooking. Then while jamming to my favorite pandora stations I cooked:

-Chicken Lo Mein
-Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
-Taco Bake
-Baked Potato Soup
-Banana Bread

The Banana Bread was, as my Aunt Sue likes to say, a "Baddy Turned Goody" Johnny decided he wanted bananas at the store earlier in the week, but didn't really decide to eat them every morning for breakfast like I thought he would....so they were getting to what I call the yucky stage. Personally, I like the light yellow bananas, even with a hint of green. The moment those freckles start popping up they are way too soft for my liking. And these bananers were definitely speckled. Then I remembered a fun Banana Bread recipe that I wanted to try from Smitten Kitchen. It turns out it is delish and you should all go make some right now on your snow day! I changed the recipe a pinch here and pinch there and am naming it "Baddy Turned Goody Banana Bread" adapted from here which was adapted from here.



look how artsy and cool...natural light
I think Johnny's neighbors thought I was crazy cause I was taking pics of bread balanced on the balcony


Baddy Turned Goody Banana Bread


Preheat Oven to 350. Okay, good, now we have that out of the way. I always marvel at why recipes put that step last when it is really what you need to do first. Then scatter-brained people like me forget to preheat the oven until the end and you have to sit and wait and twiddle your thumbs while the oven heats up...but I digress. Just heat the oven first!

3ish icky speckled bananas smoooshed (3 large/med bananas 4 if they are a bit smaller--take out all anger and aggression. smash these things!)
1/3 cup melted salted butter (I never buy salted so I added a pinch of salt to the regular, unsalted kind)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla (plus a little extra for good measure, you know I always let the vanilla overflow a bit)
1 glug of rum (you totally don't have to use this the original recipe calls for bourbon but this was the only alcohol in the apartment, Johnny's roommate had some left over from a par-tay and I probably used about a tablespoon or a tablespoon and a half- water would work too, just less flavor)
1 teaspoon baking soda 
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Pinches of whatever other spices are around (nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, cloves...all good options)
1 3/4 cups of flour


Okay, the goal here is to only get one bowl dirty. I hate making a mess while baking. cleaning. Get a medium bowl that can go in microwave and melt the butter, then at the smoooshed bananas. Toss in the sugar, egg, vanilla, rum (or bourbon or water), baking soda and salt. MIX. Then after it is all combined, add the flour. Pour batter into a well greased 4x8 inch loaf pan. Set your timer for 45min-ish and then check every 5 min after that to see if it is done (which you will know when you stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean) Now try to wait as long as you can for it to cool before you stuff your face!



Largest batch of cheesy potato soup known to man. Oh-so-good. 

Last night of my California trip Johnny made me my FAVE food in the whole wide world, Strawberry Shortcake. It makes me miss summer!!
And we went to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and had some really good talks and read some really neat books about getting MARRIED. Holla. We are so excited. 



Becoming the Woman of His Dreams (SUCH an amazing book, I need to do a whole separate post sometime about all the amazing and valuable lessons the Lord has taught me through this book)
Sheet Music by Kevin Leman (We have heard a lot of good things about this book, and went ahead and bought it...but we  decided that we aren't going to read it tell we get a bit closer to our wedding date *smiles*)

For all those who are in the 13 states effected by this "Storm of the Century" be safe, stay warm, drink hot cocoa...for those who are not...go frolic around outside for those of us with cabin fever!!

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

Love and Prayers, 
Court


No comments:

Post a Comment