Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Katniss Costumes and Food on a Stick

The school year is off to a great start, and flying by at the speed of light! It is only mid September and already I have welcomed 40+ sweet Kappa babies into my heart, relaxed and recuperated from the crazy-exhausting Rush week, began my Block B Education, read the three Hunger Games books and ate the strangest food ever at the Kansas State Fair!
First of all, if you haven't read any of the Hunger Games Books by Susanne Collins, you really should add it to your "to read" list. They are amazing, fun reads about a girl named Katniss Everdeen who is a brave young heroine who competes in these Games, stands up for her family and community and is just a truly interesting and real character. It is a great read! I love reading series because I find myself getting so attached to the characters and it is nice to see them develop and have relationships build and further thoughout several books. I won't give anything away, but just want to say they are great and you should read them! Anywho, I am on a workgroup at K-State, called "K-State First" and we just got our proposal passed so it is no longer a pilot program but now an official addition to Kansas State! This is very exciting. I was a part of the K-State First program when it was a pilot program still in the fall of 2008. Since I am sort of a "product" of K-State First, I was asked to speak at the launch of the program a few weeks ago. It was such an honor! I got to speak along with the provost of the college and the dean of student life! Here is an excerpt of my speech:


When I think back to my freshman year a flood of memories envelop me: awkward first interactions while brushing my teeth in the dorms community bathroom, the nervous feeling in my stomach as I attempted to navigate my way to those first classes meanwhile desperately hoping no one would notice the campus map I had tucked into my planner, staying up way too late eating popcorn and laughing with my new college friends, and of course my amazing Great Books class. I was lucky enough to be a part of the First Year Seminar pilot program in the fall of 2008. Trust me when I say that this was an experience that significantly shaped the rest of my college career.

In a crazy time of transition, anxiety and uncertainty I was able to find true community. The “family” atmosphere was developed further with participation in the program wide co-curricular events. I know that those currently in k-state classes are looking forward to the Pozner event this week just as I excitedly anticipated the Election Watch Party, and several other movie nights put on as a class. These events were things I enjoyed, times to share with the classmates that had become my friends. I can’t tell you how refreshing it was to walk into class at 10:30 every M,W, F to a group of individuals who not only knew my name and face; but also who I was, where I was from and what I cared about. The value of this is indisputable, and is the single most important element that helped bridge the gap from high school to college.

K-State First gave me the opportunity to cultivate stronger communication skills as we engaged in high-level discussion and debate on a daily basis. By selecting engaging and stirring literature, our instructor was able to facilitate a dynamic learning environment, which made class exciting and unforgettable. At least once a week I find myself thinking back to Great Books my freshman year, often it is because I have encountered some literary allusion that would have escaped me prior to that course, or occasionally it is because I run into a former classmate, always, when this thought crosses my mind a smile plays on my lips as I recall the gift I received through the chance to participate in the K-State First program. It is an honor to speak today, rewarding to see the efforts of our K-State First Work-Group come to fruition and exciting to anticipate the many lives that will be impacted by the launch of this program. I know I was certainly one of them.

The launch went really well!! We also sponsored a few community events like a Hunger Games release party for the 3rd book, Mockinjay. So Naturally my Kappa friends and I had to embrace a chance to dress up and look silly...hence, the beauty of tulle from Walmart and running tights! We were four mini "Katniss Everdeen's" complete with our little cardbord mockingjay pins...HILARIOUS! We ended up winning runner up in the costume contest and winning a gift card to the Union! It's all about MAKING MEMORIES!





More fun memories were made during the splendid road trip to the loverly town of Hutchinson, Kansas. HUTCH OR BUST! We stayed at the Sasse residence, had tons of laughs, enjoyed people watching at the Kansas State Fair, and sampled just about every food at the fair. We passed on the 2010 featured food item, a crispy creme donut hamburger. SICK! However, we did enjoy (collectively)...
fried snickers, corn on the cob, fried pickles, pronto pup, kettle corn, root beer float, icee, fried oreos, and hand squeezed lemonade! Whew, we may have had some tummy aches on the way home! We returned Saturday to cheer the Cats on to a victory! Twas a beautiful weekend with beautiful friends!!
Every Road Trip must start with a Sonic Happy Hour run!
Pretty Fair Lights on Friday Night

Emily jumped out of the car and ran across a bridge, yep this is normal behavior!

Friends at the Fair, eating food on a stick!

Yep, we are from KS...gotta love that scarecrow!

Delish Corn!! MMMMM!
All my roomies cheering on the Cats!

Having a Blast!

Love and Prayers, 
Court




No comments:

Post a Comment