Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Children Forever and Sneaky Surprises!

I am feeling very blessed. I have been so excited to get to write this post! Since Johnny moved out to California at the end of June the Lord has provided two amazing weekends that I got to fly out to CA and see my guy! The first weekend was long awaited and desperately needed. It had been almost seven and a half weeks since we had seen each other and it seemed even longer because those weeks spanned Johnny beginning work and the crazyness that is work week and recruitment week at Kappa. Because of those things our phone dates were scattered and we were thirsting for some extended "catch up" time!! We were excited to get some quality time together, celebrate my birthday and have some fun adventures!

I can't even tell you the butterflies that were settled in my tummy when I walked out of terminal and saw Johnny! He looked so handsome in his work clothes and glasses. It was strange, running up to him and hugging him felt wonderful but different--it was like hugging a stranger, in a good way, not a bad way. Oh my word. I am not describing this well, but basically it was amazing! Haha. Oh goodness. 

Johnny was so sweet to plan a special evening for us. I got in really late, but he had ordered a pizza from a new local pizzeria, he also made a caesar salad and had surprised me with my favorite dessert--Strawberry Shortcake! I was impressed at his baking skills! Soon after dinner he gave me my 21st birthday gift, a Sandlot edition leather baseball glove and a precious book about skills every child needed to know. He went on to explain that it is really important for us to always be able to share fun times together and keep young hearts. He told me that he picked out a baseball glove because playing catch was something we could always do together, no matter where or how old we were. He explained all of this much better and I am sure I am not giving it justice at all but it was very special and meaningful. I am so thankful for the care that he puts into making me feel treasured!

Some other hi-lights from my first California trip were:
We got to watch the sunset over the ocean at this neat park Johnny found, then we had a chance to "be kids" and play catch. We traded gloves because mine really needed breaking in and I was kinda a wimp. I used Johnny's old childhood glove because I needed all the help I could get! 


Stunning sunset! God is a master artist!

What a cutie!


Okay, here is a hi-light for you, I don't know if you can tell, we were trying to be sneaky--but there is a couple behind me in this picture who have a DOG STROLLER. It is all incased in mesh stuff and has a basket on the bottom for the dogs food and water bowl. This little dog was so pampered and yippie. Johnny and I could not believe our eyes. Only in Orange County...Ugh. Maybe we "midwesterners" don't fit in so well here!


This was at the Old Orange International Street Fair. We had a blast people watching and watching all the different cultures dance and have fun. There was fun music and great food!

At the street fair!


This was the greatest little adorable cupcake place. Johnny bought me some mini cupcakes so I could sample the creative flavors! Yummmmmy!

This last weekend was SOOOO amazing. Basically, I decided to embrace spontaneity a few weeks ago and buy a cheap ticket to California at one in the morning. I kept this purchase super secret from Johnny and had a BLAST surprising him!

My master plan was to somehow get Johnny to be on Skype Friday morning so that I could see his face when I told him that I would be in his arms later that day! The problem is, Johnny is a very busy guy and has almost no time in the mornings, we have never skyped in the morning before, so it would have been strange to out of the blue ask him to get on. This is when the scheme began...Thursday night the roomies and I watched P.S. I Love You. Johnny knows how I melt down upon watching this movie...let me paint a picture of what I mean by "melt-down" envision: uncontrollable sobbing with snot and tears mingling as I mop my face up with kleenex after kleenex and mumble: "How would it feel to loose the love of your life"...basically, in a word: PATHETIC. Soooooo, knowing that Johnny is well aware of the effect this movie has on me (oh dear, the first time I watched it...hysterics, but that is another story entirely), I used this to get him to agree to chat in the morning. I called him in somewhat "meltdown" mode telling him "how frustrated I am that the internet isn't working and how it might be better in the am when less people were on and I just needed to see his face in the morning and would he please please please get on skype while he ate breakfast so I could just see him?" I laid it on THICK (totally deserved an academy award).

The next morning, being the amazing boyfriend he is, he got on skype. I am sure he was relieved I was no longer in psycho-girlfriend-mode, anywho. We chatted a bit, then I asked "How many days left til we see each other? He replied, "I think 21 or 22, but check the countdown" (we made a countdown on my phone when we drove to the airport last time). I knew that this was coming so I held up the countdown to the screen and it read 0000!

He was shocked and I said, "Sooo, are you busy tonight? Would you mind picking me up at the airport?"

I LOVE BEING SNEAKY AND SURPRISING PEOPLE!

He was so happy, I was so happy...and I just couldn't wait to see him that night when I finally landed at 11:15!!!

This past weekend was such a blur, it went by way to fast!! Saturday we went exploring, drove to 8 Mexican restaurants in search of a "La Fiesta" of Orange County, no such luck, cheap mexican of Manhattan, KS is just hard to beat! We also went to the movie "The Town" pretty good! Sun bathed at the pool and stayed up wayyyy too late talking. Sometime after two in the morning we both realized we were starving and went on a late night excursion to Del Taco for 39 cent tacos...disgusting...yes, satisfying...yes!

Sunday we went to Kimmie's Coffee Cup, our official new favorite breakfast joint, and walked around Old Orange. We found a cute antique store that had tons of old children's books and took a trip down memory lane. The rest of the day we relaxed, took a nap then headed off to LA to explore a bit before I had to catch my flight!

We went to this old mansion in LA that has been in a ton of movies. See if you can recognize it! It was in National Treasure 2, The Holiday and tons more! I wish we could have gone inside to take pics, but we loved touring the gardens and had fun peeking in a few windows.

The gardens were absolutely beautiful! 
Johnny is a total goofball, he took a series of "statue shots"
\
Annnnnd, what lies behind door number one. (wish I could tell you, but it was locked)

Johnny treated me to a very special and very nice dinner in Los Angeles before I had to catch my red-eye flight back to KS. The waiter sounded just like a french character from Ratatouille and said "'Ere you are Mademoiselle" as he handed me my menu...LOVE IT!
It was a splendid weekend full of fun! The best was that the whole weekend Johnny just kept saying over and over, "I can't believe you are here!"

Oh how I love being Sneaky,
Love and Prayers,
Court

No comments:

Post a Comment